Image result for herdsmen killing police

The Directive of the president relocating the inspector general of police to the trouble spot of Benue has been met with another attack on the police camp killing two of his men.  

 Recall that President Muhammadu Buhari has ordered Inspector General of Police (IGP), Ibrahim Idris, to relocate to Benue state where violence killings have been taking place for some time now.
A statement by police spokesman, Chief Superintendent Jimoh Moshood, reads: “In compliance with the presidential directive, the IGP is moving into Benue State with additional five units of Police Mobile Force (PMF), making a total of 10 units deployed in the state, in addition to other police formations on ground in the state before the crisis.”
It notes: “Following the recent unfortunate killings of innocent people in Guma and Logo LGAs and the intervention and ongoing efforts by the Nigeria Police Force to restore peace in the state, the President and Commander in Chief of the Armed Forces, Muhammadu Buhari, has ordered that the Inspector General of Police move immediately to the state.”
According to the police, “More units of special forces, counter-terrorism units and conventional policemen are already being deployed,” in compliance with the order.
“Aerial surveillance by police helicopters will continue, while the mobile force personnel, special forces and conventional personnel, the counter-terrorism unit, explosive ordinance department and special joint intelligence and investigation teams already deployed will carry on unrelentingly with the patrols and crime prevention activities in the affected areas, to sustain the normalcy that has been restored.”
The police force stressed it would “not hesitate to deal decisively with troublemakers, groups or individuals likely to escalate the crisis.”
Image result for herdsmen killing police
 Meanwhile, Herdsmen on Monday stormed a police camp at Awashuwa village in Logo Local Government Area (LGA) of Benue State, killing two personnel.
A source who pleaded anonymity to Urban Express-News online disclosed that the assailants had struck the base earlier in the day but were repelled. They, however, regrouped in the evening and staged the fatal attack.
A policeman who survived the incident said the herdsmen swooped on the camp in large numbers, overpowering the officers. The inspector and a sergeant who were wounded later had their throats slit. The attackers also burnt some houses.

Another policeman who was seriously injured was stabilised at Anyii General Hospital before he was moved to the Benue State University Teaching Hospital (BSUTH) in Makurdi.
The remains of the deceased policemen have been deposited at the mortuary in Makurdi.
The Deputy Commissioner of Police, Abdul Gimba, during an aerial surveillance operation, was said to have made a stopover at Awashuwa while the corpses were being evacuated.

“Our men came under attack at Awashuwa. They were ambushed by herdsmen who had tried to attack them earlier in the day but were repelled. Two of our men were killed and their rifles were taken away,” a police spokesman confirmed, adding that a reinforcement from 13 Police Mobile Force had been sent to the area, led by Chief Superintendent Abubakar Gimba’’.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Open chat