Lieutenant General Tukur Buratai,
Nigeria Chief of Army Staff, has
described the killing of some soldiers and airmen on lawful duty in Bosso,
Niger State, by suspected gun runners as absord.
Interacting with newsmen on
Tuesday, shortly after addressing personnel at the 332 Artillery Regiment in
Shendam, Buratai, said the incident would not deter the military from carrying
out its lawful duties.
“What happened in Bosso is highly unfortunate,”
he said, noting that the troops were on a mission to recover arms hidden in
communities in the area when they were ambushed and killed.
“But instead of them (gun runners)
to be law-abiding, they took the law into their hands and attack the troops.
“We have the mandate to bring the
situation under control, we are working with the police to make sure that we
keep our society free of criminalities,” the chief of army staff reinterated.
It will be recalled that the army
in a statement on Saturday, said eight of its soldiers and two airmen were
ambushed and killed in Bosso, during a raid on hideout of suspected gun
Spokesman of the army, Colonel Sani
Usman, however, said the military killed eight of the suspected bandits and
arrested 57 others.
On his visit to the regiment and
other military formations in the state, Buratai said it was “routine” and to
find out challenges of the troops in order to address them.
Meanwhile, the Joint Military Force
deployed to the Niger Delta has vowed to apprehend the militants who attacked
its base and killed the three soldiers at Nembe jetty, on Monday.
This was contained in a statement
by Lt.-Cdr. Abdulrashid Ahmed, acting spokesman of Operation Delta Safe, in
Yenagoa, on Tuesday.
Ahmed said the troops had been
reinforced to fish out the militants.
“Some suspected gunmen believed to
be militants, at about 10: a.m on August 8, 2016 attacked 343 Artillery
Regiment, a detachment of Operation Delta Safe deployed at Nembe Jetty in
“During the incidence, three
soldiers lost their lives.
“The Commander of Operation Delta
Safe, Rear Admiral Joseph Okojie, has consequently deployed reinforcement team
to apprehend the perpetrators of this heinous crime,” he said.
Ahmed quoted the commander of the
joint force as warning that henceforth, Operation Delta Safe would go on
offensive to fish out all criminals in the region.