Afolabi Gambari
With what now looks like a renewed attack by insurgents against the Nigerian state, no thanks to the latest killing of a three-star general after he was captured in Damboa, Borno State on November 14 and the abduction of 25 students from Government Girls Comprehensive Secondary School, Maga in Danko/Wasagu Local Government Area of Kebbi State on November 17, the conjectures by a cross section of Nigerians that President Bola Tinubu’s two-pronged trip to South Africa and Angola was insensitive could be understood without being stressed.
The Presidency had late on November 18 issued a statement on the president’s trip, explaining that Tinubu would attend the 20th G20 Leaders’ Summit and the 7th African Union–European Union Summit in South Africa (on November 22 and 23) and Angola (on November 24 and 25) respectively. The statement also said the president’s attendance followed invitations from global leaders, including South Africa’s President Cyril Ramaphosa, current G20 President, and Brazil’s President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva, whose invitation to Tinubu dated back to last year.
Several state officials had been listed to be on Tinubu’s entourage to both events, including Foreign Affairs Minister, Ambassador Yusuf Tuggar; Finance Minister, Wale Edun; Solid Minerals Minister, Dele Alake; Trade and Investment Minister, Jumoke Oduwole; and National Intelligence Agency Director General, Ambassador Mohammed Mohammed.
But despite the meetings having much to do with disaster risk reduction, climate change, just energy transitions, food systems, critical minerals, decent work and artificial intelligence, regional and international peace, security and development, many Nigerians would have none of both. As far as they were concerned, nothing could be more important for Tinubu outside urgently addressing the insecurity situation that had appeared brutally renewed. Indeed, it amounted to abandonment of an onerous responsibility for Tinubu to insist on embarking on the trip.
Tension escalated on November 19 and it was left for Tinubu to literally swim against the tide of public opinion by jetting off to the international meetings. Perhaps, many Nigerians had hardly been aware of the upcoming UNICEF’s World Children’s Day due on November 20 and the need for the president to use the occasion to not only assure the nation of the safety and protection for children but also to guarantee the rescue of the all the abducted Kebbi school children and their safe return home. Remarkably, nature had whipped up the abducted students’ fate to be tied to the auspicious day and put the Nigerian state on the spot.
By mid-day, it emerged that Tinubu had postponed the scheduled trip as the Presidency said he would rather stay back to await “further security briefings on the kidnapped Kebbi schoolgirls and the attack on Christ Apostolic Church worshippers in Eruku, Kwara State”. He earned the sobriquet of “listening president” as the statement explained that he would await reports from Vice President Kashim Shettima, who paid a sympathy visit to Kebbi State on his behalf, as well as reports from the police and the Department of State Services regarding the attack in Kwara”. Apparently aware of what November 20 represented in the lives of Nigerian children, Tinubu, according to the statement, reiterated his directive to the security agencies to” do everything possible to rescue the 25 schoolgirls, abducted by the bandits and bring the girls back home, safe”. And why not? He would not have, as an opposition figure in 2014, called out former president, Goodluck Jonathan, over the abduction of 276 students at Government Girls Secondary, Chibok, Borno State, only to have innocent school girls also abducted during his tenure in 2025. The hypocrisy would simply be a stench. At any rate, however, the seeming travel-happy Mr. President deserves a huge applause for staying back in Nigeria this time to quench a raging fire, as it were.
It really should have been a “clean sweep” week for Tinubu; except that he inadvertently applauded the mediocrity of the Super Eagles where he should – as the payer of the piper that must of necessity dictate the tune – have said things as they were. By all standards of measurement, the Eagles had let down over 250 million Nigerians by failing to qualify for the 2026 FIFA World Cup – especially by not maximising their pedigree in the African qualifying group that comprised South Africa, Benin Republic, Rwanda, Zimbabwe and Lesotho and despite still being gifted with a rare opportunity to win the ticket via an African play-off.
A Presidency release dated November 17 quoted Tinubu as commending the largely overrated Eagles for their efforts in the 2026 FIFA World Cup qualifiers. It was curious what he meant by “efforts” that were worthy of commendation. Of course, it could be reasoned that he did not personally author the release. But whoever authored it among his aides ought to know that he had put the principal at odds. Of the six countries in the group, only South Africa had been at the World Cup twice; the first in 2002 and the second only by the grace of hosting the tournament in 2010. Nigeria had previously attended the finals six times in 1994 (when she debuted) and subsequently in 1998, 2002, 2010, 2014 and 2018. Of the six countries also, only South Africa had won the African title once, as host in 1996, compared to Nigeria which had won it thrice, first as host in 1980 and subsequently in 1994 and 2013. It is also doubtful that any of the six countries had spent more money on the 2026 World Cup qualifiers than Nigeria, considering, of course, that Nigeria had invested the most in players plying their trade in foreign leagues. In all of this, why Tinubu, who is renowned as an accountant, would not demand Return on Investment (RoI) from the funds expended on the Eagles, particularly the N1 billion he ordered to be released to the team on November 11 after the players and coaches went on strike during the playoff in Morocco, should be strange indeed.
Hear the president: “We must now plug all the loopholes. Our football administrators, players, and indeed all stakeholders must go back to the drawing board.” He may be aware, though, that the “drawing board” had since grown worn that nothing else can be done on it any further. He also may be aware that although he urged Nigerians to “focus all efforts on the Africa Cup of Nations” billed for Morocco later in December, Eagles would meet nine African countries that have already qualified for the 2026 World Cup (billed for Canada, Mexico and the USA), namely Egypt, Senegal, South Africa, Ghana, Cape Verde, Morocco, Cote d’Ivoire, Algeria and Tunisia at the AFCON and the Nigerian team would be the butt of jokes among fans for having missed out from two consecutive World Cup finals. How could he have failed to call the spade by its name, despite this glaring reality?

