URBANEXPRESSLIVEURBANEXPRESSLIVEURBANEXPRESSLIVE
  • Home
  • Politics
    Politics
    “Followers who tell the truth, and leaders who listen to it, are an unbeatable combination.”— Warren Bennis
    Show More
    Top News
    Why Jump To APC-Bode George Pleads With Fubara, Says Party Has Formidable Structure
    April 26, 2025
    Natasha Vs Akpabio’s Suit: Court To Deliver Judgement 27th of June
    May 13, 2025
    Former Kano State Gov, APC National Charman, Ganduje Throw-in The Towel
    June 27, 2025
    Latest News
    How Hon. Chinda, Emerges As APC Governorship Candidate  In Rivers
    May 22, 2026
    It’s Unthinkable To Believe I’m Working For Tinubu’-Kwankwaso 
    May 21, 2026
    APC Lagos Assembly Primaries: Desmond Elliot Officially Withdraws, Cites Intimidation
    May 20, 2026
    Breaking: Tonye Cole Withdraws From  Rivers APC Gubernatorial Primary Election Race 
    May 20, 2026
  • Entertainment
  • Urban & Rural Lifestyle
  • Column
  • Environment
  • Urban Sports
  • Crime Lence
  • More Links
    • Contact us
    • Advertise
Search
  • Advertise
© 2024 Urbanexpresslive. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Repatriated Nigerians Give Chilling Details of  Illegal Migration To Libya
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
URBANEXPRESSLIVEURBANEXPRESSLIVE
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Urban & Rural Lifestyle
  • Column
  • Environment
  • Urban Sports
  • Crime Lence
  • More Links
Search
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Urban & Rural Lifestyle
  • Column
  • Environment
  • Urban Sports
  • Crime Lence
  • More Links
    • Contact us
    • Advertise
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
URBANEXPRESSLIVE > web-Page > Uncategorized > Repatriated Nigerians Give Chilling Details of  Illegal Migration To Libya
Uncategorized

Repatriated Nigerians Give Chilling Details of  Illegal Migration To Libya

urbanexpresslive
Last updated: May 23, 2026 10:35 am
urbanexpresslive
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Olusegun Ariyo

Some of the 497 Nigerians repatriated from the Niger Republic on Friday have recounted the harsh experiences they endured while attempting to migrate illegally to Libya in search of better living conditions.

The returnees, who were received by the National Emergency Management Agency, NEMA, at the Malam Aminu Kano International Airport in Kano around 12:40 p.m., included 174 men, 97 women, 137 boys and 89 girls from states such as Kano, Jigawa, Borno and Kaduna.

One of the returnees, Sani Hamisu from Kano State, said he left Nigeria in search of economic opportunities after struggling financially at home.

According to him, he hoped to improve the welfare of his family and also raise enough money to get married.

“I wanted to support my family as the first son and also get married, so I decided to travel to Libya,” he said.

Hamisu described the journey through the desert as traumatic, saying many migrants lost their lives due to a lack of food and water.

“In the desert, there was no water and no food; many died. Once your water finishes, nobody can help you, even with a cup of water,” he added.

He disclosed that he spent six years in Libya doing menial jobs but eventually returned to Nigeria without achieving his goals.

“IOM rescued us in the desert and took us back to the Niger Republic before we were brought to Nigeria,” he said.

Another returnee, Harira Muhammad, a mother of two from Borno State, said she travelled to Libya eight months ago in a bid to support her husband, who suffered a leg fracture after being hit by a vehicle during a Boko Haram attack.

“My husband was knocked down by a car during a Boko Haram attack and has had a leg fracture since then.

“I travelled to Libya in search of greener pastures, but we were attacked by bandits who collected our money,” she said.

Harira appealed to the government to assist returnees with business support and empowerment programmes to help them rebuild their lives.

Speaking on the exercise, the Head of Operations at NEMA’s Kano Office, Dr. Nura Abdullahi, explained that the repatriation was voluntary and not a forced deportation.

“It is a voluntary repatriation of Nigerians from the Niger Republic. The Federal Government brought back the returnees through the Ministry of Foreign Affairs,” he said.

Abdullahi stated that the operation was coordinated through a collaboration involving the Nigerian Mission in the Niger Republic, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the International Organisation for Migration, IOM.

According to him, the arrangement was aimed at ensuring the safe and dignified return of stranded Nigerians.

He added that NEMA and relevant agencies provided support services for the returnees immediately after arrival, while the National Commission for Refugees, Migrants and Internally Displaced Persons supplied medication to the Nigerian Red Cross medical team for those with health challenges.

Abdullahi noted that most of the migrants embarked on the journey in search of better economic opportunities but later realised the route was unsafe.

He said the agency would provide meals for the returnees before transporting them to their various states after profiling and verification.

The NEMA official also advised Nigerians against embarking on dangerous migration journeys in search of greener pastures abroad.“No country is better than its country of origin,” he said.

You Might Also Like

It’s Scam Calling One Legend- RMD

EPL: Never Was it an intention Upsetting Him-Scholes Finally Clears Air Over Comment On Carrick 

Tinubu’s Military Narrative, Reckless-Lagos APC Replies to Kenneth Okonkwo 

EPL: No Issues- what Man City Told Guardiola, Players after 115 Charges

i’ll Only Prove My Allegation In Court Against Akpabio-Natasha Replies Agbakoba

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Victims Kidnapped from Churches in Kadauna Community: Bandits Insist on N1 bn, 35 Motorcycles
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

235.3kFollowersLike
69.1kFollowersFollow
11.6kFollowersPin
56.4kFollowersFollow
136kSubscribersSubscribe
4.4kFollowersFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Victims Kidnapped from Churches in Kadauna Community: Bandits Insist on N1 bn, 35 Motorcycles
Crime Lence Crime Reports Discover May 23, 2026
How Operatives in Gombe Uncover Live Ammunition Concealed In Sack
Crime Lence Crime Reports May 22, 2026
How Unknown Gunmen Fired, Killed Igando Inhabitant Over Alleged Business Dispute 
Crime Lence Crime Reports May 22, 2026
Role Model, he is-PSG Coach, Luis Enrique Names Best Manager of All-Time
Urban Sports May 22, 2026
//

UrbanExpressNews is Nigeria Most Reliable Online News, With Quality Pedigree of Writers made available on the online space.

Download Our App

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

info@urbanexpresslive.com

 

Follow US
© 2024 Urbanexpresslive. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account