URBANEXPRESSLIVEURBANEXPRESSLIVEURBANEXPRESSLIVE
  • Home
  • Politics
    Politics
    “Followers who tell the truth, and leaders who listen to it, are an unbeatable combination.”— Warren Bennis
    Show More
    Top News
    Breaking: Protesters In INEC’s Office In Abuja See Viral  Video 
    April 8, 2026
    Appointments: NJC Forward Nwite, Omotosho, 10 Others To Tinubu For Appeal Court Justices Approval
    May 15, 2026
    Hamas’ll Pay For The Crime of Killing American Hostage-Biden Threatened
    September 1, 2024
    Latest News
    Banigo Danagogo, Others Disqualified As  Rivers APC Proceed With Senatorial Primaries
    May 17, 2026
    Breaking: Buhari’s Son Clinches APC Reps Ticket In Primary Election
    May 16, 2026
    ISIS Commander: President Tinubu, Trump Confirms Killing of Abu-Mainok In Nigeria-US Operation
    May 16, 2026
    Shehu Sani Greets US, Nigeria For Eliminating Al-Minuki, Says More Work Needed
    May 16, 2026
  • Entertainment
  • Urban & Rural Lifestyle
  • Column
  • Environment
  • Urban Sports
  • Crime Lence
  • More Links
    • Contact us
    • Advertise
Search
  • Advertise
© 2024 Urbanexpresslive. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Hike In Telecoms Tariff: Govt In Last-Minute Move To Avert NLC Shutdown
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
URBANEXPRESSLIVEURBANEXPRESSLIVE
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Urban & Rural Lifestyle
  • Column
  • Environment
  • Urban Sports
  • Crime Lence
  • More Links
Search
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Urban & Rural Lifestyle
  • Column
  • Environment
  • Urban Sports
  • Crime Lence
  • More Links
    • Contact us
    • Advertise
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
URBANEXPRESSLIVE > web-Page > Business > Hike In Telecoms Tariff: Govt In Last-Minute Move To Avert NLC Shutdown
BusinessDiscoverPolitics

Hike In Telecoms Tariff: Govt In Last-Minute Move To Avert NLC Shutdown

urbanexpresslive
Last updated: February 3, 2025 9:59 am
urbanexpresslive
Share
2 Min Read
SHARE

Olusegun Ariyo

There are indications that the federal government will on Monday meet with the Nigeria Labour Congress, NLC, to stop the planned Tuesday nationwide protest against the 50 percent telecommunications tariff hike.

A reliable source familiar with the matter, who preferred anonymity, disclosed this on Monday morning, noting that the meeting between the NLC leadership and the federal government is scheduled for 5 p.m. on Monday.

The source said the meeting was a “dialogue on matters of national interest as it affects Nigerian workers.”

According to the source, it will be an inter-ministerial meeting with the Secretary to the Government of the Federation (SGF), purposely to resolve issues raised by the NLC concerning the federal government’s approved upward adjustment to telecommunications tariffs, which the NLC, its allies, and others are vehemently opposing.

This comes as the NLC is already mobilizing workers for a mass protest tomorrow (February 4) against the 50 percent tariff hike approval.

On Thursday last week, in a letter to affiliate unions and state councils, NLC General Secretary Emma Ugboaja urged them to mobilize other Nigerians to send a serious message to the government.

The planned protest follows the 50 percent telecom tariff approval by the Nigerian Communications Commission (NCC) on January 20, 2025.

The approval had sparked widespread rejection among telecom subscribers.

 subscribers under the aegis of the National Association of Telecoms Subscribers, headed by Adeolu Ogunbanjo, announced plans to drag the federal government to court over the 50 percent tariff hike.

Ogunbanjo had proposed that if there must be a telecom tariff hike, it should not be more than 10 percent, considering the hardship Nigerians already face.

However, the Minister of Communications and Digital Economy, Bosun Tijani, had blamed global inflation for the approved 50 percent tariff hike.

You Might Also Like

Our Next Generation of Africans To Rise With Courage For Continent’s Prosperity- Tinubu

Election Update: Even Some  Labour Party Members Sold Their Votes, Akpata Claims

Couple, One Other Abducted,  As Gunmen Invade Fugar In Edo

Vice President Shettima Arrives Yew York For 79th Sessom Of UN Assembly

City Marathon: Lagos Set To Investigate Ambulance Incident

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article Tariffs: Why Canada Moves to Take Legal Action Against US
Next Article EPL: Why Tony Adams Disappointed With Saliba As Arsenal Beat Man City
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

235.3kFollowersLike
69.1kFollowersFollow
11.6kFollowersPin
56.4kFollowersFollow
136kSubscribersSubscribe
4.4kFollowersFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Police Authority  Detained Officer Over Escape  of rape suspect  From Custody In Rivers
Crime Lence Crime Reports May 17, 2026
Banigo Danagogo, Others Disqualified As  Rivers APC Proceed With Senatorial Primaries
Discover Politics May 17, 2026
LaLiga: New Challenge Remains His Focus-Flick Reacts To Lewandowski’s Departure From Barcelona 
Urban Sports May 17, 2026
EPL: Why New Chelsea Manager Alonso Named His Three Focuses At Stamford Bridge 
Uncategorized May 17, 2026
//

UrbanExpressNews is Nigeria Most Reliable Online News, With Quality Pedigree of Writers made available on the online space.

Download Our App

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

info@urbanexpresslive.com

 

Follow US
© 2024 Urbanexpresslive. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account