URBANEXPRESSLIVEURBANEXPRESSLIVEURBANEXPRESSLIVE
  • Home
  • Politics
    Politics
    “Followers who tell the truth, and leaders who listen to it, are an unbeatable combination.”— Warren Bennis
    Show More
    Top News
    Supreme Court Victory: Kaduna LP Chapter Hails Nenadi Victory, Requests Members To Return
    January 31, 2026
    INEC Publishes Candidates’ Details In Osun Guber Poll
    February 15, 2026
    Why I’m Against State Police, Plateau-Based Islamic cleric, Jingir Reveals
    March 2, 2026
    Latest News
    INEC Boss, Amupitan, To Osun Electorates: No Citizen’s Blood is Worth Any Election
    August 1, 2026
    Amid Terrorist Threat: COAS Tightens Security In Borno
    August 1, 2026
    They’re bent on winning- Cardinal Onaiyekan says Tinubu Administration  Wants 2027 By All Means 
    August 1, 2026
    Road Project Neglect Allegation: Umahi Replies Oshiomhole Says Road Initially Awarded 
    July 31, 2026
  • Entertainment
  • Urban & Rural Lifestyle
  • Column
  • Environment
  • Urban Sports
  • Crime Lence
  • More Links
    • Contact us
    • Advertise
Search
  • Advertise
© 2024 Urbanexpresslive. All Rights Reserved.
Reading: Deregistration: Appeal Court Puts On Hold Execution of High Court Judgement 
Share
Notification Show More
Font ResizerAa
URBANEXPRESSLIVEURBANEXPRESSLIVE
Font ResizerAa
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Urban & Rural Lifestyle
  • Column
  • Environment
  • Urban Sports
  • Crime Lence
  • More Links
Search
  • Home
  • Politics
  • Entertainment
  • Urban & Rural Lifestyle
  • Column
  • Environment
  • Urban Sports
  • Crime Lence
  • More Links
    • Contact us
    • Advertise
Follow US
  • Advertise
© 2022 Foxiz News Network. Ruby Design Company. All Rights Reserved.
URBANEXPRESSLIVE > web-Page > Uncategorized > Deregistration: Appeal Court Puts On Hold Execution of High Court Judgement 
Uncategorized

Deregistration: Appeal Court Puts On Hold Execution of High Court Judgement 

urbanexpresslive
Last updated: June 16, 2026 9:12 pm
urbanexpresslive
Share
4 Min Read
SHARE

Olusegun ARIYO  

The Court of Appeal in Abuja has ordered the stay of execution of the judgment of the Federal High Court in Abuja, which on Monday deregistered the African Democratic Congress, ADC, and four other political parties.

The controversial judgment, which directed the Independent National Electoral Commission, INEC, to deregister the African Democratic Congress, ADC, and four other political parties, was ordered not to be executed

In a unanimous decision, a three-member panel of the appellate court, led by Justice Abubakar Mohammed, accused Justice Peter Lifu of the Federal High Court in Abuja of flouting an order it made on May 22, which directed him to suspend proceedings before him. 

The appellate court held that Justice Lifu’s action amounted to an affront, judicial nasality on the hierarchy of courts. 

It held that the lower court’s action was “the highest form of judicial impertinence,” stressing that the Supreme Court previously held that a judge who acted in such a manner “is unfit for the bench as it amounts to judicial rascality.”

“Courts are enjoined to protect their integrity. This Court has supervisory authority over the trial court. The lower court’s decision to proceed with the judgment despite this court’s express order is a brazen violation of the court hierarchy and the 1999 Constitution.

“This court has the duty to invoke its powers in ensuring that its orders are made. 

“The application for a stay of execution is hereby granted. The enforcement of the judgment is stayed,” the appellate court held. 

The Court of Appeal fixed June 25 for the definite hearing of the substantive appeal. 

It will be recalled that, aside from the ADC, the other parties the high court directed INEC to deregister are the Action Peoples Party (APP), Action Alliance (AA), Accord Party (AP), and Zenith Labour Party (ZLP).

According to the court, the five political parties failed to meet the constitutional requirements to warrant their continued existence and participation in future elections.

It barred INEC from further according recognition to the parties, accepting nominations of candidates from the affected parties, or giving effect to their activities for the purpose of participating in the 2027 general elections.

Moreover, Justice Lifu ordered the defendants to stop parading themselves as registered political parties in the country. He held that there was merit in a suit filed against them by the National Forum of Former Legislators, NFFL.

The group, in the suit marked FHC/ABJ/CS/2637/2026, prayed the court to determine whether INEC has a constitutional obligation to remove political parties that fail to meet the electoral performance thresholds set out in Section 225A of the 1999 Constitution (as amended), as reinforced by the Electoral Act 2022 and INEC’s regulations.https://urbanexpresslive.com/ucl-youre-weak-for-covering-your-mouth-with-a-shirt-vinicius-slams-prestianni-over-racist-comment/

It was the plaintiff’s position that the five political parties listed as defendants had persistently failed to meet the constitutional benchmarks required to retain their registration.https://urbanexpresslive.com/dont-share-your-pvc-details-with-any-political-groups-adc-admonishes-lagos-inhabitants/

The former legislators stressed that the requirements include winning at least 25 per cent of votes in a state during a presidential election or securing at least one elective seat at the national, state, or local government level.

They told the court that the ADC and the four other parties performed poorly in both the 2023 general elections and by-elections conducted by INEC, thereby failing to win seats across key tiers of government.

The litigants insisted that the continued existence of the ADC and the other defendants as recognised political parties is unlawful and undermines the integrity of the country’s electoral system.

You Might Also Like

FA Cup Semi-Final Draw Confirmed See Full Fixtures

He Was a Local Artist-Akon Revealed How He Brushed  Up Wizkid’s Career

Clear Danger To National Security-ADF Reaction Against Wike’s Vituperations

EPL: Why Rosenior Named Chelsea Player To Blame for 2-2 Draw With Leeds

BBNaija S9: How Cultists Forced Me Out of University-Mayor Frosh

Sign Up For Daily Newsletter

Be keep up! Get the latest breaking news delivered straight to your inbox.
[mc4wp_form]
By signing up, you agree to our Terms of Use and acknowledge the data practices in our Privacy Policy. You may unsubscribe at any time.
Share This Article
Facebook Twitter Copy Link Print
Share
Previous Article World Cup 2026: Can’t Get It-What Ronaldo Said Against Ancelotti Over Mistake In 1-1 Draw With Morocco
Next Article My Choice Will Be Dialogue, Obi Says, As Best  Alternative if Elected President 
Leave a comment Leave a comment

Leave a Reply Cancel reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

Stay Connected

235.3kFollowersLike
69.1kFollowersFollow
11.6kFollowersPin
56.4kFollowersFollow
136kSubscribersSubscribe
4.4kFollowersFollow
- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

Latest News

Reduction of Fuel Pump Prices: More Filling Stations In Nigeria Take Queue 
Business August 5, 2026
How Troops Nabbed Four Suspected Terrorist Logistic Suppliers In Yobe, Borno 
Column Crime Lence Discover August 5, 2026
Breaking:  Amid Battle With Cancer, Actress Temitope Osoba Reportedly Dies
Discover Entertainment August 5, 2026
2027: Tell Nigerians Primary, Secondary Schools You Attended, Kalu Challenges Tinubu
Discover Urban Sports August 3, 2026
//

UrbanExpressNews is Nigeria Most Reliable Online News, With Quality Pedigree of Writers made available on the online space.

Download Our App

Sign Up for Our Newsletter

Subscribe to our newsletter to get our newest articles instantly!

info@urbanexpresslive.com

 

Follow US
© 2024 Urbanexpresslive. All Rights Reserved.
Welcome Back!

Sign in to your account